Ode to the Turn Around Wife


Turn Around Wife


Turnaround wives, we know who we are!
Oh the life of a Turn Around Queen
for to live it you must be more than keen
because they are not ordinary lives
they are  lives filled with constant interruption.

***

Now you were here, but then you are gone.
The garden hose got left on and 
The dog puked on the floor.
but don’t worry
I’m on it! I got it all done!

I’m getting good at switching gears
from full throttle to neutral
from the bed shared to sleeping alone
from aching body to satiated groans
you come and then you go.

Tenacious and versatile
I’ve had many jobs 
you have had one
I’ve made friends you may never meet 
and I’ve packed up our kids and our home
more than once.

The mastery of the turn around wife;
manage the business and run the show 
walk the dog and go to the gym
feed the children and tuck them in
mow the lawn and wax the bush
life is full on when you are gone

Ah but the dog looses her mind when you 
walk through the door
the kids come running like its Christmas 
morning
My heart flutters, my face blushes and my 
panties moisten
at the sound of your voice, your arms 
wrapping around my waist
and that long awaited kiss
knocking my socks off like you did
our first time and I digress
and we retreat
and for a few precious days, we are complete
you resting between odd jobs
checking them off the “honey-due” list
my name of course listed as number one
and we find our groove it’s good, its really good.
I remember all the reasons I love you
and all the things you do to drive me crazy
and then just like that
it’s time to turn around.

Now you are here but then you are gone
a silence lingers in the space you belong
I feel only half here
I wander lost in the house 
disorientated by your absence
and it takes me a day, or sometimes two
to find myself again.

Oh there you are, You! Me! 
Here we go again, life with just me.
I am capable, I am strong, I am good on my own!
I am focused on the horizon
nose down, doing the work
keeping eyes on the prize
making the short term sacrifice
for our long term goals! 

I got this shit covered, I know the score! 
2&2, 19&12
12&4, 
our lives lived in the increment
of turn arounds
with and without

yet doing it together
because that’s what love does
it adapts 
it flexes and it flows
and above all else it knows
that us together is better
than us alone!

Comments

Popular Posts